Friday, October 19, 2007

Finders, Minders, and Grinders



My Systems Engineering mentor and professor, Bill Wood, shared a story with me today at lunch.



Passed along from his friend, a lawyer, he explained how employees consistently fall into three necessary categories. The Finders find customers and new business. The Minders care for the customers and keep the operations going. The Grinders are in the background doing all of the research, analysis, or productivity.

Who do you want to be?

Which role will make you partner first? second? (which role is most appreciated by your company?)


As he posed this story, I recognized the parallels to any industry. We also discussed which aspects of a job get us jazzed up. Dr. Wood pointed out his results of Myers-Briggs Type Indicator testing and further demonstrated how we can naturally be of one type, but train ourselves the attributes of other types in order to meet our goals.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to be a Minder, but I tend to get in the weeds and be a Grinder.

What are you? What do you want to be? How do you get there?

TestPilot said...

I'm a grinder, its so exhiliarating to work through the problem yourself. I'd really like to be a Minder and herd the cats to go in the same general direction to the same beat of the drum.
The people who seem to do really well are the people who move around a lot. Employers always believe the grass is greener on the other side and are always excited to give these transients a better offer. These Minders bounce around a lot and either 'get lucky' or move on having a new war story that makes them interesting in the next job.
I've got a couple of more adventures to go before I am an interesting Minder that can bring experience, organization, and vision to the team.

Program Manager

As a technical leader, I develop a talent pipeline that can deliver client's expectations in a motivating and productive environment.

I have performed multi-discipline engineering on space launch vehicles, satellite command and control software, electronic medical records, and large data center operations.


I am seeking additional opportunities to deliver solutions internationally

resume MBA-Bard Center


I have delivered management and technology consulting solutions for Deloitte, BearingPoint, Department of the Interior, TRICARE Military Health System, Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA), Raytheon, Lockheed, Northrop, and Boeing on various projects in manufacturing, software development, systems engineering, testing, and ITIL management.