Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Good to Great

Alice : Which way do I go?
Cat : Where are you going?
Alice : I don't know.
Cat : Then it doesn't matter!
__________________________excerpt "Through the Looking Glass" Lewis Carroll
How do businesses go from Good to Great? Author Jim Collins from CU-Boulder describes a few observed parallels between companies that were good and their competitors that were great.

A company must have a succinct vision, values, and purpose that employees will connect to. Individuals are mostly concerned with themselves, therefore the statements must be able to resonate within them. Not every employee will relate and that leads to getting the right people on the bus like Jack Welch (GE) and Henry Kelleher (Southwest Airlines) did.
In a visionary leadership class, we're asked to discover ourselves and document our vision and our purpose. This exercise is surprisingly powerful in identifying which paths to take.

As a leader, we must define our values and purpose. Then we can align with a company, project, or purpose that is in agreement. Finally, we can get the right people on the bus by communicating the vision and purpose that this company or project stands for; the guiding principles that allow fast, autonomous decision making and teams that 'fit.'


I have started with the following, friends and family will tell me if I missed the mark with describing my true passions.
VALUES : ______I value love, achievement, and adventure.
PURPOSE : _____The purpose of my life/career
______________is to lead others
______________so that other people experience success.

No comments:

Program Manager

As a technical leader, I develop a talent pipeline that can deliver client's expectations in a motivating and productive environment.

I have performed multi-discipline engineering on space launch vehicles, satellite command and control software, electronic medical records, and large data center operations.


I am seeking additional opportunities to deliver solutions internationally

resume MBA-Bard Center


I have delivered management and technology consulting solutions for Deloitte, BearingPoint, Department of the Interior, TRICARE Military Health System, Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA), Raytheon, Lockheed, Northrop, and Boeing on various projects in manufacturing, software development, systems engineering, testing, and ITIL management.